Mr. Tanenbaum would like to begin offering additional technology opportunities for 4th and 5th grade children at Cottage Lane.
- On Tuesday mornings, beginning on October 10th, we will offer early morning drop-off Basic Robotics Club where students in fourth and fifth grade will design and build various types of Lego Robots. There will be a maximum of 20 students allowed in this program at a time for each six week sessions. The first 20 applications that are received will be offered space in our first session. Additional sessions will be offered for the remainder of the year as needed. All children who sign up will be accommodated at some point during the year.
- On Wednesday mornings, beginning on October 11th, we will offer an early morning drop-off Fourth Grade Chess Strategy Club. Any fourth grade student may attend any session. There will be a maximum of 20 students allowed in this program at a time for each six week sessions. The first 20 applications that are received will be offered space in our first session. Additional sessions will be offered for the remainder of the year as needed. All children who sign up will be accommodated at some point during the year.
- On Mondays and Thursdays, beginning soon (we are waiting for equipment to arrive), we will offer Competition Robotics. In this program, teams of students will train and compete in a building-wide robotics meet later in the year. I will pick 10 students in fourth and fifth grade for each day the club is offered. There will be a 20 student maximum for this program. If time allows, and the need is there, we will offer the program in the spring as well. If there is insufficient space for all applicants in the Competition Program, students who are not selected for the team will be invited to participate in the Tuesday Robotics Club.
There will be no cost to participate in any club. Each club will begin at 8:30 AM, and will run until the start of school. If you would like your child to participate, please fill out the permission slip on-line at the link below. Please note, as with all of our early drop-off programs, there will be no transportation provided by the district. This sign-up is for the entire year. You will receive an invitation email when your child is selected to participate.
Here is how the clubs work:
- You may sign up AT ANY TIME by going to our on-line sign up, located here.
- Robotics is offered every Tuesday at 8:30 AM for six consecutive weeks.
- Chess is offered every Wednesday at 8:30 AM for six consecutive weeks.
- There is no cost to participate in either program.
- As with other early morning programs at Cottage Lane, there is no district transportation.
- If we miss a day due to vacation or a snow emergency, we will continue running the club for extra weeks until we have had six sessions.
- If you sign up for either or both clubs, you will receive a note AT SOME POINT IN THE YEAR for your child to participate. I take students in groups of 20 for six weeks until all those who sign up have an opportunity to participate. Please note: These are popular clubs and it will take much of the year before all children have had an opportunity to participate.
- Children are welcome to sign up for both Robotics and Chess. If they do, they will not participate in both clubs at the same time so that I can accommodate as many different students as possible in the program, but at some point during the year, they will have an opportunity for both.
Thanks for your help making this year’s program run smoothly.